Stay up-to-date with the latest RainFire Restoration news, updates, and offers.
37% of deaths related to house-fires came from homes which did not have smoke alarms. 23% came from homes which had smoke alarms, but that were not working properly. We get it, sometimes when the battery is low and your fire alarm starts making that annoying BEEP it can be tempting to just take out the fire alarm until you have time to replace the battery. While it may seem tedious, it is worth it to make sure that your Smoke Alarm is working properly at all times.
Leftover food particles can get too hot and cause a fire, whether left on the stove or on a pot for too long. It’s important to watch these surfaces and make sure they are cleaned regularly. Similarly, it is important to make sure that nothing else is left on these surfaces! A paper towel or dish rag left haphazardly on the stove, or curtains too close, can easily get too hot and start a fire!
Frayed cords or faulty wiring can spark and cause a fire. Check your cords before plugging them in to make sure that they are not frayed or broken in any way. Pay attention to your outlets as well and ensure that you are not overloading them. Some extension cords can cause fires as well with overuse of electricity going through them. If you notice that some circuits are shorting frequently, or lights are dimming when you use another piece of electrical equipment in your home, this may be a sign that you are at a greater risk for a fire.
Many people believe that most house fires start in the kitchen. While the kitchen is a very likely place for a fire to start, bedrooms are also a high-risk area! Curious kids may experiment with matches or lighters in their bedrooms so it is important to keep those out of reach for young ones. Many people will light candles in their bedrooms as well which increases the risk of fire! Smoking is another thing which is commonly done in bedrooms but is best left away from the carpeted bedrooms. In any case, it is smart to make sure that all bedrooms also have their own smoke alarms!
A fire extinguisher is your best weapon when a small fire first breaks out so ensure that you have AT LEAST one in your house at all times, but preferably to have one in any room with a higher potential risk of fire. It may be worth your time to make sure that everyone in the family knows how to properly handle the fire extinguisher as well, in case something happens while you are not home. We recommend having a fire safety plan as well. Include training on “STOP, DROP, and ROLL”, safety evacuation plans, and practice drills with your family to avoid any questions they may have in case of a fire.